The Unfinished House "The Bow St. Corner Shop" is by SID COOKE in the U.K. Please visit their site to see more of their lovely houses. Shipping & Service was superb!
The Brick effect was done using a printable from Jim’s Printables, fixing it with Krylon fixitive spray and gluing it to desired spots prior to plastering. I then masked off bits with torn masking tape (the kind that doesn’t stick too much) and plastered around it. When the plaster had set just a little, but wasn’t hard, I then removed the masking, which gave me nice jaggy edges.
A slightly better view of the upper floor panelling & the fire breast. The panelling was done with balsa strip wood glued to bristol art board. The fire breast was also done with 1/2″ thick balsa. I have no power tools, so everything has to be hacked at by hand. I’ve placed the chimney breast flush to the back on the left side to offset the slightly awkward 12″ square room and give it a little visual interest.
Close-up of fireplace & chimney breast. The firegrate will light once I get electrical in.
The inside of the fireplace is done using the same brick pattern I did on the outside, I then dry poked it with black acrylic to simulate soot. Lots of soot. Eventually we will soot up the fire surround as well.
Top Floor: The panelling, floor, trim & baseboards are in! Used wallpaper glue to adhere panelling boards, which allowed me to smooth some of the warping caused by the paint.
Ground Floor: The bottom Apothecary finally is painted, tiled & the trim is installed! The wall color is a stoney greenish-grey, brushed over with a watery tan acrylic, that gives it a sort of nicotine stained look. I needed a color that contrasted well with the muted georgian rose of the above stairs.
The floor tile are real slate, normally meant to be used for roofing. I was inspired by the Pharmacy Museum in New Orleans and its lovely slate floor, I tiled and grouted a sheet of bristol board and then set it in.
Woo! Let there be light! Somewhat… After trial & tribulation, I got my first electrical appliance in: the firegrate. And the upper floor sconce is in, I may put another one to the right of the bed, but I’d like to get the place decorated before I do that.
Details, Details, Details
For the second story I layed a wooden floor. Using 1" mahogany
vaneer roll from the hardware store, I cut some strips, splitting some narrower. This is not a period detail, however, the vaneer strips did not really have clean edges, and I thought it would look nice and rustic. The veneer comes with gum on the back that sticks when heat is applied. So I just cut my strips then ironed them to a bristol board I had painted black. I then sanded, oil stained & polished with tung oil.
The Apothecary Jars! Click here for details (they’re exquisite).
Using very fine muslin, I adhered two 7″ square pieces together with stitch-witchery, which not only gives the corset its stiffness, it makes it so you don’t have to hem edges, just a tab underneath arms was necessary to connect the front to back sides. Though I did whipstitch a border in pale green around the arm & neck openings. Boning lines are picked out with a running stitch in thread only slightly darker than the muslin. I haven’t embroidered for a very long time, so I was a little rusty, but this project only took me a few hours. The entire corset is just over 1 inch.
And here’s a cute wee box that reads:
James Dalton, Esq.
It is featured on top of the tester bed in the Harlot’s Progress. I used regular weight parchment paper, sealed with krylon (to keep writing from smearing) and then added two coats of shellac.
The furniture is starting to arrive, and I can’t help putting it in as I begin the panelling on the 2nd floor. I’ve created several furniture pieces from kits; the bed and candlestand seen here. I love the kits, but wish they had more variety! They are sanded, oilstained with walnut, and then sealed with several coats of tung oil. This avoids the hard candy coating of a shellac, but still gives it a lovely gloss.
For a pattern of the Tester Canopy, click here.
Ok, so I got another bed, a sweet li’l 18th century French style. It is a bit more accurate to the painting, as the Hogarth tester is free standing, and the bed had no posts. It opens the room up quite a bit. The tester isn’t properly secured here so is a little skewed til I decide which bed to use.